About Us   |   Contact us

About 100 children hospitalised after taking contaminated food

Mandi: About 100 children suffered from food poisoning after consuming a preparation of white grams and ice cream at a village fair in Komand village of Gohar sub-division of this district on Sunday afternoon. The affected children were rushed to nearby Rohand primary health centre and Civil Hospital, Sundernagar.

Villagers later demanded action against shopkeepers for serving contaminated food. They also demanded that during such fairs, the government should make provision for testing food, sweets and other eatables by the health authorities to avoid such incidents.

The poisoning incident also exposed hollow claims made by the state government about so-called best health services in the country. At Rohanda hospital, there was no doctor, no nurse and no assistant to look after the kids. A lone laboratory assistant was manning the hospital. Consequently, unconscious children could not even get elementary treatment or first aid. The irate public and parents of the ailing children created furore, gheraoed the hospital management and raised slogans against them.

They were finally forced to take children to Sundernagar Civil Hospital, which is at a considerable distance from Ruhanda. Later, local panchyat pradhan, Inder Singh, sent a telegram to the Chief Minister and also informed MLA Rup Singh about the worsening health services in the backward valley. No casualty was reported.

Post to Twitter

Author: ih

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *