World Environment Day (WED) 2010 on June 5
World Environment Day (WED) June 5, is a day that stimulates awareness of the environment and enhances political attention and public action. World Environment Day was the day that United Nations Conference on the Human Environment began. World Environment Day is hosted every year by a different city with a different theme and is commemorated with an international exposition on the week that 5 June is on. The United Nations Conference on the Human Environment was from 5-16 June 1972. It was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972.The first World Environment Day was on 1973.World Environment Day is in summer in the Northern Hemisphere and winter in the Southern Hemisphere.
World Environment Day is similar to Earth Day.
World Environment Day Previous event themes:
- 2000 The Environment Millennium – Time to Act
- 2001 Connect with the World Wide Web of Life
- 2002 Give Earth a Chance
- 2003 Water – Two Billion People are Dying for It!
- 2004 Wanted! Seas and Oceans – Dead or Alive?
- 2005 Green Cities – Plan for the Planet!
- 2006 Deserts and Desertification – Don’t Desert Drylands!
- 2007 Melting Ice – a Hot Topic?
- 2008 Kick The Habit – Towards A Low Carbon Economy
- 2009 Your Planet Needs You – UNite to Combat Climate Change
- 2010 Many Species. One Planet. One Future